Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Quiet in here lately

I haven't been active in art for a few days, because of ocular migraines. They're triggered by too much close stitching along with  screen time.

 So I took a couple of days off  the most intense stuff,  to rest my eyes, and tomorrow here's where I'll be. Dyeing.


The background fabric for the Big Star Thing,  a new white cotton sheet, laundered and ready to mordant and dye tomorrow.

See the Kool-aid packets? Sara, Ravelry friend, sent me them when I couldn't find them anywhere.  I'm going to dump the lot in, after I fold and gather the fabric. The idea is to have a gently variegated color background against which the stars and hexie formations will blend and contrast.

 Koolaid's a good nontoxic dye. You'll note the mordants, washing soda and alum, are similarly benign. They don't outgas fumes.

The big white pot is the mordant bath then the dye bath. Long ago I used it for canning before, along with other kitchen items,  it migrated into the studio never to return to the cooking arena.

So now that my vision has calmed down, and the jagged shapes and gaps and flashing lights have gone away, I can get on.

12 comments:

  1. Very sorry you were hurting. I love the idea of using the packers to dye. Never thought of that before. I have used turmeric, coffee, tea and blueberries on wood before. That was fun. Feel better and here's to no pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used a lot of natural dyes from material I've gathered it grown. This was a little gift so I'll use it. I did quite a bit of koolaid dyeing of roving from ba fleece I'd processed years ago. You can do it in the microwave if the amounts will fit. Here I need the dyebath.

      Thank you for the good wishes. It's an annoying visual disturbance, no headache, which is good. And it doesn't last long each time.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE the Koolaid. Makes me want to try it. Very cool on the microwave. We don't have one though. Glad you don't have a headache. Here's to more of that.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your vision has settled down.
    What would we do without enamel pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has been in use for well over 50 years, doesn't owe me anything!

      Delete
  3. This is on my list to try - if I ever remember to buy the silly Kool-Aid to do it. We wouldn't be allowed to use Rit dye in our machines here in the building so that pretty much leaves something natural. I grew up drinking Kool-Aid and Freshie made with only a teeny amount of sugar. Wouldn't have had any in it had it been up to my mother but I revolted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always used a dyebath, not the washing machine. There's a way to do it in the microwave, which you can Google.

      Delete
    2. The microwave - wouldn't have thought of that but you're right, it would/should work.

      Delete
  4. Kool-aid as a dye! and yeah, lots of my kitchen stuff has migrated to the studio never to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the dye tools I'm using right now were kitchen equipment originally. Tongs, wooden spoons, saucepans, funnels, all that. I used to have a hair dryer specifically for use in watercolor work.

      Delete
  5. Prayers the migraines stop
    Cleaning onions, I thought about you when I saw their tan dye on the towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when you'll pop into someone's mind!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.