Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A bit of whipstitching, and a pro tip

I started on the hexie cutouts, and I'm getting a bit more skilled at handling them as I go. Seen here, off the hoop, and resting on the background batik fabric.


These will be overstitched in a contrasting thread, I think, when I come to do the appliqueing to the background. Meanwhile I need to press and straighten them up.

And the pro tip for embroiderers: notice the inner ring of the hoop is wrapped? Bias tape (thank you, Judy), or any old strip of bias fabric, works.

It protects your work from being abraded by the hoop. Here I'm working with cottons, so it's enough to wrap just the inner ring.

 But when I've worked with silk, I've wrapped both parts of the hoop,s as not to deform the weave. Like this



Ideally you need to remove the hoop after every working period, so as not to put the imprint of the hoop on your work and the stretching pressure, too. I don't always live up to this ideal.  Fabric is very responsive, and needs care in handling.

I have to be a bit cautious about how long I stitch for, because of eyestrain, what with that and more screen time these days. Otherwise I'd stitch until I was frozen in place.

And you did know that a good way to save strain on your neck is to stitch leaning back on pillows, holding the work up comfortably, light shining over your shoulder? It looks really slothful, but in fact it's a Good Thing. Especially when you're a bit up in years.

6 comments:

  1. you're welcome, of course. I think wrapping the two parts of the hoop has an added advantage, it keeps the fabric from slipping. Shiny fabric like silk or fine cotton is a bear to keep in place, and it seems you can never get the silly thing tight enough.

    I look forward to where these are going, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! The bias tape you gave me has wrapped s number of hoops in the embroiderers guild. Spreading the wealth.

      Delete
  2. Wrapped hoops look lovely and intentional, too. I really do aim to do this someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. Wrapping the hoop is respecting your work, and mentally warming up. Like rubbing the inkstick ready to do brush painting. Or warping the loom. It's all part of the work, not just a preliminary.

      Delete
  3. And here I thought the only reason to wrap a hoop was to tighten it so it would grip the fabric better. Another great tip - thank you! And now I see the reason for those slits from the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stick around and all will be revealed.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.