Monday, April 13, 2020

Change of pace! From big diamonds to small diamonds.

One of the things everyone has to watch out for with fiberarts is not overusing your hands with the same repeated movements.

 I was very pleased with the diz results, much better spinning. But because of the scrunching movement of the left hand as the roving advances, I started having a bit of left shoulder pain. Also the flicking movement of spinning is hard on my right hand. So I have to take a short break before I get trouble going on both sides.

So I picked up the epp, the big diamonds, and found I had unaccountably cut the fabric a bit small, or the templates a bit big. Either way I had unusable fabric bits.

Since I had planned on an array of diamond sizes anyway, I cut the undersized diamonds down further to make smaller diamonds, for which I had a bagful of templates from another project.



There might be a mad array of shapes, clamshells, hexies, diamonds, patch work circles made from tiny bits before this project tells me what it is.

And after this morning's drama, see https://fieldfen.blogspot.com, and waiting to hear Handsome Son has got home safely from work,trees down all over, flooding, a bit of quiet stitching is a Good Thing.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about the shoulder pain. Here's to less of that in coming days. Hope your son makes it home safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he texted me. All's well. And my shoulder is fine now. I just have to react quickly when anything happens, instead of booming ahead disregarding it, or not even noticing. I'm getting better at noticing.

      Delete
    2. That's fantastic. It's so good to know ahead of time like that. That's what I do too, those little early signs for different things. So important.

      Delete
  2. I can no longer hold a needle to sew. The last pair of socks I darned were a joke. You have me thinking about a spindle again, but I know it would be impossible. Fortunately, I can still throw a shuttle, though my bobbins are no longer beautifully wound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you do beautiful weaving. I'm sorry you can't stitch these days, though. Yes, a spindle would be a challenge, probably not a good use of your energy that could be put into weaving lovely things.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to know you and your son are okay. You seem creatively inspired, that is nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always some idea going! I've been Skyping with him this evening getting up to date. He continues well, I'm glad to say.

      Delete
  4. Another interesting project Liz - look forward to seeing the end result. Good for you for knowing when to stop a particular activity, something I haven't managed to do. Working on far too many pieces of clothing to alter the past couple of days and finally realized that might be why my back is sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a while to learn when to stop and switch activity.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.