Monday, August 26, 2019

Why slow meditative work is good for art

The hexies are ongoing, and more to come. And as I'm stitching away, I'm getting some great ideas for a series of framed artworks involving silk piecing and silk transparencies of the pieced pieces, if you follow me. 

The relative routine of methodical stitching definitely lends itself to ideas presenting themselves. It's the stitching equivalent to cleaning the studio or organizing art tools.


Meanwhile, this is where we are. Under glass to press them and not lose any, while I see how the color balance is or isn't going. Some are stitched into groups of seven, some still waiting for stitching.

Tip I've used a couple of times recently: when your tiny needle, my fave is about 1.5", flies out of your hand to land who knows where, shine a flashlight around and you'll see the glint. This is definitely better than finding it with your foot. I've been known to do that, too.

So that's Boud, Her Work, for today.

4 comments:

  1. Corralling them under glass is smart - they're so small that they could easily escape. Good tip about the flashlight too - far better than finding the needle in parts of your extremities!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also avoids having to pick them up and lose the layout before my cleaners come! They're very good but need clear surfaces to work. They'll polish the glass slab and the hexies will be safe.

      Delete
  2. I tend to keep pincushions and such high off the tables, one panic stricken dash to the vets with a red thread dangling jauntily out of a cat's mouth was enough...and while I agree about the flashlight, sometimes pins fall out of fabric unnoticed. I also keep a strong small magnet handy, and do periodic sweeps of the floor. I have the kind of rug that swallows pins, and a magnet catches them every time.
    Now if I could just find a Lego Magnet...

    I admire your patience and enthusiasm, this is tedious work, even at the best of times. It's the process, and the possibly unknown end result that keeps us going, isn't it. Like dressing a loom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, on never mixing cats and threads, scary stuff.

    Interesting how many American stitchers use magnets, to find pins and needles and to anchor them in place on an ongoing embroidery.


    I was (convent)trained never to allow magnetism near my pins and needles, because it creates drag, and fine stitching is more difficult. Especially, I'd guess, stitching the kind of fine silk I used for the suncatcher.

    It doesn't seem to be important nowadays, one of those bygone rules which have stayed with me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.