Monday, August 19, 2019

Silk suncatcher

Sounds like the name of a butterfly.

The epp rosettes done and scanned and awaiting the arrival of the silk paper for their next stage, which I will unfold when I find out what I'm doing, I returned to the silk diamonds.

I found reels of silk thread from a toolbox of dressmaker items I thrifted a while back. Still in perfect condition, strong, lovely to stitch with.

So I created a star. I had made a bunch of diamonds, more epp, for a tumbling block design, but thought I'd rather make stars. As you see. And stitching silk fabric with silk thread is luxury itself. So friendly to work with.



These are all little silk samples from Dharma trading I got when I ordered the large silk squares for the embroidery workshop I taught a couple of years ago.

I'll make however many stars I can get out of the supply then decide on the configuration. And at that time deal with the dogears at the points.




Just testing one, with a bit of sticky tape,  against a sunny window. I love working with light and stitching and silk, and this is by way of being a threefer.

4 comments:

  1. But I LIKE the dogears! Particularly in the window. They add some additional interest and a reason to look more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe I'll think about that before I do anything drastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, they seem to make the shapes a bit fuller looking, almost like little appendages..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late! They're gone. But I just found a lovely piece of orange silk which will make another suncatcher for the window above this one, and I'll bear it in mind for that one. After several hundred hexies have happened!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.