Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Pyegreave Rosette, the reveal!

So here's the completed work. 10" across.
This is from Florence Knapp, Flossie Teacakes Guide to Paper Piecing.



All the templates came out a treat, and are collected in a little labeled bag, for future reference. It took a while to get all the bits of basting thread sorted.

Then I pressed and starched the rosette. And I'm pleased, if I do say it myself.

I learned a ton of technical ideas from doing it. Each successive stage counts heavily on the accuracy of the previous one, otherwise you couldn't get the outer rim to work at all. So that was good, to find it did fit.

And it's better to have some dressmaking experience for this, since easing and molding the fabric around the templates and to each other is very much like fitting clothes to your shape. Also tricks like which direction to stitch in, varies with the shape and position. All in all a really good project, highly recommended.

I like the movement in the stripey star, contrasted with the stillness of the center one. And some pieces are uniform, some less so. It avoids that dead in the water effect of static pieces just sitting there, always a Good Thing. Many decisions in this little thing.

As soon as I recover, I'll see what's next.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! As I think I've said before, you're a brave woman to tackle this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wait till you see what I'm doing now!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.