Thursday, August 22, 2019

Hexies, or what to do when you're wondering what to make next

The rosettes and the silk piece all done, I need to think about what's next, while I consider the silk transparency processes to come.

So I thought I'd find out why people make hexies. And found that one reason might be that they're light-years easier than the other epp projects I started on. The other is that once embarked, you can't stop.



So I'm just making a whole bunch of them and will eventually find out what to make with them all. It will involve a table covered in them, and decisions about design and will require that I be done with the post-it posse work which currently occupies the table.

But meanwhile they're in a little brown paper bag as they get basted.


4 comments:

  1. You, my friend, have been assimilated into EPP! I know when you first mentioned the possibility my mind immediately went to hexies because that's mainly what I've seen used for the process. If I had enough cottons in my stash I might attempt them, but I flatly refuse to buy more fabric until what I have is very much dwindled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of antique quilts all in hexies. But they seem to need persistence more than design. It's one of those just-one-more shapes, though.

      I'll be back to more interesting shapes after this outing!

      Delete
  2. You may already be aware of this, but women (my grandmother was one of them) used to make these hexes and them stitch them together to make quilts.

    I tried it myself once, and lasted about ten minutes.

    you could, um, make tiny quilts for the Dollivers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen antique NJ quilts in collections made with umpty million hexies. My current plans are for a couple of sofa pillows. That will about do it. There are more interesting shapes to go to next.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.