Monday, September 28, 2020

The current State of the Lint Array

Another piece of lint for future papermaking arrived today, thank you so much Joanne. So here's the display.  You'll notice, since it's from her loom, that the colors are those of her towels. They look more saturated here, because they're not woven in a design with a light contrast. And I have a pretty cool idea about how I'm going to work with this.  As soon as my eyes clear up enough to be outside a bit. Pesky allergies still making me blurry and swollen and itching to beat the band.  Yes, I know all the remedies, and I do what my eye doctor recommends.  But the real cure is for the season to move on.

Incidentally, speaking of papermaking and that theater of action, I was prepping veggies today from the produce box which arrived, and you'll be able to read about it at Field and Fen
 One of the items was a giant beet, which I steamed forever until it was tender and ready to dice for salad.  I kept the steaming water, because it was a beautiful dark red color. Now, I know from experience that the minute the air gets to work on it, the red color will oxidize away, leaving an exciting brown..but the triumph of hope over experience, I froze it anyway, just in case the laws of nature will be repealed this one time, and I can get a nice red color, to use in my papermaking vat. We'll see.

 This one was supposed to be published a couple of days ago. I just found it didn't seem to have appeared. So here it is now, sorry.



10 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw your picture I knew where the lint came from! I love that the artistic endeavors of two great artists can come together to create something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this kind of generosity is part of making art. I don't know if great applies to me, though!

      Delete
  2. Nice group of colors
    The fires out west have reached the east coast last I heard; allergies can also be aggravated by cut flower stems in water, when they begin to rot; and wind. I love the wind but it does go well with my allergies. This season, allergens are happening at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a sudden, worse, bout and next day found out that the smoke had reached here. Very high up but I think it might not have helped.

      Delete
  3. Joanne does have some great colors.

    My allergies go on all year and my eyes are red as beets very often, especially after time in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I love the days when my eyes are not red and swollen. Soon, I hope.

      Delete
  4. My only foray into paper making was thirty years ago. Put the lint into a blender, filled the blender with water and made a slurry. Used a makeshift picture frame for the sheet of paper. It had a screen. The apparatus was floated in water, the slurry poured in. I'm fuzzy on the rest. Drained the water, paper towels to soak off more water, a lot of ironing and hair dryering. I was not impressed because the paper didn't look like it would be suitable for more than framing. I hope your allergies subside and you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much the universal approach to paper making. Yours was probably a bit soft because the nature of lint is soft? I have another idea about using it..

      Delete
  5. Okay - now I have the words 'State of the Union Address' in my mind and that has morphed into the 'union' of artists as this shows evidence of. And that, folks, is how my mind (or lack thereof) works!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.