Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Ca commence! Channeling Chanel.

 Very beginnings. Nothing stitched, just some cutting and pinning.  This is where you separate out the artists from the group. I fearlessly slashed into the Constellation piece to free up two finished sections to applique to the back of the jacket.

 No worrying about parting with it or spoiling it, or whatever worried my students who couldn't bear to cut into their work. It's like gardening. Or cooking. Leap, and the net will appear!

The reason for this choice, and putting it on the back is: you can lean back on cotton and silk applique without hurting you or it. Embroidery's not meant for pressure. Especially gold work.Bit of a japanese influence going here. There's going to be more happening here.


The artist frowning thoughtfully at the start of a long work.

Two future patch pockets.One dyed linen with hammered natural materials, the other dyed and printed linen with gold work.

I also fancy inside pockets, so there may be more. 

Meanwhile I'll leave it hanging for now and look tomorrow before stitching. And I have one of my favorite things, small pieces to work in my hand. I love modular art, and this is where it's best.

4 comments:

  1. Developing nicely. Thank you for the tip about embroidery and pressure. Sew On!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will apply to the insides of the sleeves and the sides of the jacket. Any place that will encounter friction. But that leaves plenty of scope.

      Delete
  2. A good start! I'm looking forward to the variety of different items you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good so far! Anxious to watch developments as you progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.