Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Foofling about with thoughts

 I've been thinking on and off, for years, about a long running, vague, plan of hand stitching a robe from various interesting fabrics. 

And I suddenly realized that the silk patchwork I'd started,


and the Constellation piece likewise,


 plus various other embroidered and dyed pieces, and the sari silks, weren't supposed to be hung anywhere on walls or windows.

They really are parts of one bigger thing. Which I can wear.  Now that I drafted and made the jacket with Joanne's woven fabric, I've got the block set up. Add sleeves and lengthen, simple style, because all the interest is in the fabrics. 

This explains how I got stuck and tired. I was looking at it from the wrong direction. 

It's really going to be a big artwork rather than a sensible sort of garment. To date almost everything is silk or linen, with  a lot of my embroidery and hand dyeing and I'm getting quite excited about it. 

I have quite a few textile works which have been exhibited and some sold, but some are here, and might find a home in, or on,  (pockets),  this possible robe thing.

This might bring together a few ideas and halfworked pieces. And when I'm not wearing it, it can be hung on the wall.

I have a long rayon jacket, much blacker than it looks here,  made in Indonesia, fair trade price through Dharma Trading. That might make a lining/ base to strengthen the silks.

Come to think of it I might apply the pieces, patchwork style, directly....the whirring, creaking noise is my right brain getting in gear. Not solid patchwork, room between pieces for sashiko stitching, too.

I think my seasonal work is emerging.

10 comments:

  1. I can see this flying out behind you, running for a taxi. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this design! I hope we can follow it as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! smashing idea. Coco chanel eat your heart out !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a brave woman! I would never in a million years attempt to create like this but I wish I could - and while I'm at it I wish I could muster the courage to actually wear such a thing. I always look at the wonderful 'artsty' clothing and wishful think and then I remember that somebody who is my size (5'10") would probably look like the broad size of a barn and end up staying in my safe little world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wish I were taller! More scope for adding to in a longer and maybe wider robe. I'll run out of space on mine.

      It must be nice to be able to reach things too, while I'm into height envy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.