Saturday, February 8, 2020

So, maybe art can get a look in now?

The downsizing having subsided to a dull roar, it's time to create something. Anything.

And since I've made Valentine chocolate bark, see https://fieldfen.blogspot.com, l would like to be ready to give it to unsuspecting people.

But it needs suitable packaging. And origami comes to mind. Not that I'm a great origami practitioner. It challenges my sense of direction, which is pretty vestigial.

However, for my friends, only the best. Homemade bark in homecrafted  boxes.

So I set to work. YouTube. Several likely channels all in Japanese, no dialog, written instructions on screen in Japanese, very authentic. First muting the annoying music, I tried.


Again and again I tried. I reduced the playback speed to 50%.



And found that the bits where I got baffled, like how did he form those corners? How many turns did he just make?

 Those parts, after all the folds were done, is where the teacher starts to make assumptions, and is afraid of being boring.  He forgets he said it was easy, for beginners, and just assumes you will know how to do the vital manipulation you came in here to learn.

Well, reducing the speed showed me that the very bits a novice needs were edited out. Which certainly accounts for some of the noise I made in the course of this exciting adventure.

I was also slightly hampered by this



Not an origami injury, but a crack that opened up after that outdoor work in raw weather. It will open further if not kept muffled like a cartoon sore thumb. And it doesn't help.

But my own ineptitude does feature.

However, tomorrow is another day. And I shall return. No piece of paper is going to bring me down, no, no.

And I did do a little drawing on my thumb. Some days you takes what you gets.

11 comments:

  1. Ouch!! Though I like your drawing and admire your initiative...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for a happy healing
    and someday origami success

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made cranes, dogs etc in origami in the past, but a simple box? Haaaaard. Prayers are probably what it will take!

    The thumb will be well soon. Just takes one mild day to help. But I get my whining in when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your persistence. I have noticed that often 'for beginners' lessons on YouTube tend to gallop, and I begin to think that they are less for beginners than they are for showing off how clever the weaver is, or the origami folder is...

    I have faith that you'll figure it out or find a better way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have found a better, more environmental friendly, and sore thumb friendly way..stay tuned.

    I bless the time I found out how to slow down the playback speed. I've found that some audiobooks are much better at 75%. Which makes me wonder if they were speeded up to fit disk size rather than the purpose of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My origami is limited to a closed box my father taught me.It was fun, in a doctor's office, for example, to reduce a piece of paper to a square and fold it into a box to present to the nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Origami is weird that way. I can make various animals, but a "simple" box not so much! The friend who taught me cranes could do no other origami. We're niche origamists!

      Delete
    2. Niche origami! I love that. I may bill myself a niche weaver.

      Delete
  7. Working with paper isn't my comfort zone so I would have been confounded by trying to make a box too, injured thumb or no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Origami can be a treat or a torment. And you never know which ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm one of those people who know - it's most definitely a torment.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.