Sunday, February 23, 2020

Latest book cover, clasped weft, leno

This one's smaller, as I realized it needed to be. So it's 2"x3". Still a nice ratio, and works better for some reason.


The gold insertion I did as a clasped weft, and ran into instant problems. The gold has no give, and it shrinks back from the edges, pulling them in. I had to remove and replace several times to get it fairly acceptable. And clasped weft pulls in anyway, so this was a bit of an extra challenge. I think it came out okay. I'll see how I like it once it's off the loom.

Clasped weft is a lovely technique where you use one weft thread to draw another behind it until it gets to the point you want. You can create great free designs as you go.

It was a bit over optimistic to try to do it with a combo of handspun wool and gold embroidery thread, though. Note to self. Better not mix materials for this process.

But when I get to the cotton warp thread weaving, soon, with the same fiber for the weft, it should work better. Also then I plan to learn and deploy leno, a nice lacy effect, which I studied in that great weaving book I reviewed recently.

Cotton has more definition than homespun wool, so it's better for fancy footwork. But spinning your own weaving yarn is great, and there's something to be said for the lovely softness and liveliness of the weaving.

I'm leaning more and more to making paper to size for the Little Books, rather than adapting what I have. Probably abaca/cotton linters rather than my own foliage. I just need to create a new small mold and deckle. Or maybe just a simple piece of screening.

Always looking far ahead and having to haul myself back to the present.

5 comments:

  1. I think the gold looks really interesting next to that fluffy fiber. Try looking at it through eyes that didn't see it being made. I tell myself that often when I find fault in something I've made. Innocent eyes just won't see it the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very helpful reminder, thank you. Yes, particularly when you had a struggle, it's important to see it as if you just came across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly - "as if you just came across it"! That's a really good way to put it.

      Delete
  3. I really like those little touches of gold and I can understand it being difficult to work with. Metallic thread is notorious for that, no matter the application.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like the look of this particular thread. Then I start work and remember how unfriendly it is. It skids around, unlike my better gold threads which usually cooperate.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.