Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Winding and dyeing and dreaming of weaving

So I have maybe a yard of thread on the floss bobbin, of which I found I had a bunch, thanks to the downsizing.

 During its course, I not only found, but relocated, a lot of things where I can now find them with no irritated fumbling and tossing and fussing.

 To wit: the floss bobbins, exactly what I need to wind the paper yarn on, the silk dyes, which I needed instantly just now, and containers for the dyes. To name but a few.

Anyway, since it looks like I can do this thread, dyeing is up now. I took out the iris, pale green, in fact the residue from making iris paper, from the freezer, and the mix of turmeric, yellow onionskin and black walnut, too. Added in a lovely red/pink silk dye and a blue mix. The latter two are from silk dyeing days, prep for teaching freeform embroidery on silk.




I just dropped filters into containers to take up the color, then drained the excess dye all into one container and dropped more filters in there.


Here the color is spreading through the filters.

Then I needed a break, pot of tea, few cashews. And noticed the floss bobbin of blinding white thread just lying there. Clean thread, clean bobbin, the work of a moment to slip it onto a spoon and dip it into the teapot.



Seen here on a lovely homespun napkin, from a friend, don't know the weaver, or I'd credit them. Nice tint.

All in all a productive time was had by all. The containers are now in a warm place on top of the fridge to dry out. Stop me before I dye again.

This kind of art reminds you that the processing of your raw materials is part of making the art.

 The decision on how fine to make the thread, what colors to use, what to mix to get subtlety, how weaving miniature work needs the color miniaturized too.

 It's all artmaking, rather than just getting ready to make art. As warping the loom is the first part of the work, not just a process you have to get through in order to work. Or making the ink with the stick on the stone before you do Chinese brush painting. It's calming, meditative, vital.

About miniaturizing color: long ago I was a miniature needlework designer and maker, sold finished work to serious collectors, kits to keen makers.

 In the course of designing I realized that if you want to convey, say , black, as a rug background, if you use an actual black it looks toylike, not like a rug that you need comparison to realize it's not full-size. Red likewise. And so on. If the original full-size item was a solid color, the miniature version needed to be muted a bit to convey the illusion.

You can do this by mixing close shades in the needle if you're working with a plied floss, or by going into a finished work and seeding a lighter shade here and there.

This is where the craft, faithful perfect rendering in small scale, meets the art, deciding how to adjust that, so the eye sees it as a faithful rendition.  What Picasso called the lie that tells the truth.

Tomorrow I'll warp up ready for more weaving. You'll notice I'm not in a mad rush to do the finishing of the first group. Not a fan of finishing. It's like framing, you don't have to like it, you just have to do it.


10 comments:

  1. Fascinating. Have you written a book on this stuff, dear? Because I want to read it! I have little interest in dying myself, but reading your thoughts about it, about art, about raw materials... all of it. I wanted this post to be much longer. Like a book long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taught many workshops, and this kind of material is what we discussed, as well as making art. I've been blogging for years, and really the ongoing blog is an artwork.

    I used to be a freelance writer, all sorts of subjects, co-authored a book, but this kind of discussion I think works best in small essay form like here. Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that you're right - about these things likely being best written about and digested in small essays. I guess I want a book of essays. :) For now, I'll have to settle for perusing your blog. Soaking in your thoughts and ideas and experiments.

      And to be clear about what I really enjoy... The processes you tackle are interesting for sure. But what I love is reading your thoughts ABOUT the creative process. I just find that kind of stuff fascinating and uplifting. We all need freedom to explore and create. To experiment, to fail, to learn from the failures as well as the successes.

      OTOH, when I'm pursuing a creative thing it seems I like to have instructions to follow. And a (fairly) sure outcome. While that provides something of a learning experience, I'm not sure it leads to creativity.

      Anyway... I enjoy reading your thoughts about it all. So glad to have discovered you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! The questions and suggestions I get in here are so valuable. They are part of the train of thought.

      Delete
  3. This discussion is fascinating. I especially needed to see the spinning bit. As a spinner of every fiber I've ever encountered, paper was a mystery and I needed to see it. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you go to the March 12, 2029 post on Sarah Swett's Field notes blog you'll get a great demo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be 2019. Sarah's great but not a time traveler. At least I think so.

      Delete
  5. Interesting discussion and thoughts, particularly about the use of muted colors as opposed to the inclination to use pure black or red in smaller works. Something to keep in mind for pretty much any endeavor that's not full-sized. Love the thought of all your pots of various colours all lined up on top of the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's good to remember that colors need to be calibrated just as other proportions do.

      My fridge top is a valued area. It's housed birds, drying handmade paper, bread dough rising, now drying dyed filters. It's just warm enough, out of drafts and traffic, useful for all the above purposes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.