Thursday, February 27, 2020

Dyeing results

The filters dried overnight, and here they are.



 It's a pleasure just to handle them. I expect some dye will come off on my fingers as I spin, particularly the red.

Those lovely green shades are from that mixture of leftover dye.  And the little bobbin of tea dyed yarn dried nicely and held the twist. I was wondering if it would undo itself as it dried but no.

I'm happy with this batch. Now to cut and cut and cut to get strips to spin. But I think I might just warp up and try weaving the yarn I made. I'd like to see how far one filter goes.

I'll also experiment with making pages for the Little Books from some of the filters. I'll iron them to get out the crinkles. One of the few times the iron is used around here.

4 comments:

  1. Curious to know - what would happen if you were to use the filters in the white form and then 'paint' them with the dye...not soaked so the dye is totally throughout, but almost dry brushed. Hmmm.....
    And....also curious re the red possibly coming off on your fingers...would adding some vinegar to the dye take care of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason it will probably come off on my fingers is that it's oversaturated. I may try rinsing till clear, as you do for yarn and fabric dyeing. It might not stand up to that but I plan to try.

    The idea of painting the yarn is nice if you want a variegated effect. Worth noting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look too pretty to cut into for strips. I'd be tempted to make them into some kind of flower-thing. But I am intrigued about how this all shakes out, too. the colors are elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased at how vividly the natural dyes worked. The silk dyes look a bit overdone and "blunt" to my eye. Not enough overtones or something.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.