Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Ideas jostling in a doorway

So here's the silverwork in place, whipped edges. And now I suddenly think oh, that can be a little pocket.


 Out of which something might emerge (thank you, Joanne). Which means that now I've spent ages placing and pinning and unpinning and replacing, it has to come off again, to be issued with its own silk lining. Oooookayyyyy.

The other idea, in the middle of this realization, is that I now know how to incorporate the lint into paper. Various compartments of your mind deal with various issues. I'll explain when I get there.

When I had actual structured jobs, as project manager, and program director in a several sectors, broadcasting, higher ed, United Way, women's nonprofit,  they always entailed running a couple of dozen projects simultaneously, different stages, different participate, different assistants, and it was a load of fun. And I always made and exhibited art and usually had a minibiz going, too.

After I moved on, after about five years in each, leaving everything running lovely, in two different cases a man was hired as my successor.

Despite all my sharing, showing, explaining and availability after I was already embarking on my next adventure, both pretty much dropped with exhaustion in a few weeks.

One was fired, the other jumped before he was. I don't think even smart men can handle that many unrelated issues at once without imploding. One of them called and said accusingly you never told me how hard it would be!

A third job I left in good shape was then divided among, count them, six people..I fell down laughing at that. Part timers, but still the equivalent of more than one person. 

This may mean I never learned when enough was enough.  Handsome Partner used to say you, you're never happy till you've overdone it! Annoying because true.

But I used to point out, every secretary and assistant I ever had, wanted to come with me.  Happy workplace, because we got stuff done. We. Team. 


4 comments:

  1. I noticed that about sending projects along to men, too. And teams coming along...
    One customer once asked for a tiny pocket inside the vest pocket, for "my bus token". Just a memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww! A bus token. Maybe it was his lucky token.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about leaving a work place and then discovering that they've been forced to hire several people to take your place. My very first job was as a secretary in a high school where I was given more and more workload until I revolted and quit. Ran into the school principal a year or so later and he told me they had to hire three people to do what I was doing when I left. He even apologized for thinking I was SuperWoman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The workplace they fired the man from tried to hire me back at more money! But I was done with the job, already engrossed in the new one.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.