Sunday, May 3, 2020

Weaving returns, going in circles

Since I carelessly mentioned hats and weaving recently, I've been thinking about a purely frivolous foray into Woven Hats for Dollivers.

 The only drawback is that I have to make five if I make one. But if we say nothing, I can see how one goes before plunging in.

I considered using spun paper, but that's a bigger project than I fancy, taking a lot of time. And a lot of spinning. So I thought natural dyed cotton in pale, summery colors might do it.


 Also it will withstand pulling to keep it firm.


I found a small hoop to use as a loom. I can do two hats on one warp, weaving each side of the warp.


 And as you see, I'm leaving a gap in the warp to allow for shaping. I'm starting with a green iris dyed thread.

We'll see how this goes. If successful it will quiet the Ds. anyway.

10 comments:

  1. Oh boy - weaving in the round. It will be fun to see your hat creations and how to Dollivers look in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sssshhhh, don't let them know. I'll get no peace till they're all hatted up.

      Delete
  2. Weavers never cease to amaze me. I have a weaver friend who makes great round woven rugs. I just looked for her web site; it's gone. I will solve the mystery and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see it if you track it down. I particularly like weaving small scale. The weaving area here is about 4" across, and feels very happy. The switch from stitching also gave me a better idea about the reverse applique. I guess it's good to rest one part of your thinking and let it revive!

      Delete
  3. if I put something down before I finish, I'll likely never get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a piece needs resting time, like pastry, come to think of it, to allow the concept and the design to develop beyond the original idea. For me, anyway. Ymmv!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine exactly what you are going to be doing here, so I shall be watching closely. And I don't know what a dolliver is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned. The Dollivers are a set of five dolls I made as characters on my https://fieldfen.blogspot.com blog. They have whims of iron!

      Delete
  5. Oh boy - there will be no living with the D's once they get outfitted in new head gear! I imagine they'll all be demanding new dresses to go along with the hats. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.