Thursday, May 21, 2020

Cashmere fluff is now yarn

Here's the result of the dizzing and picking and spinning


The tools: fine crochet hook to draw the fiber through the diz, here a button, before setting the hook aside to continue with fingers, smallest spindle I have, though there are smaller ones in existence, and the resulting two cards of laceweight cashmere yarn

That was a great interlude. I realized a bit late that it would have been good to wear a mask, since the fibers were making me cough a bit. But it didn't affect my eyes at all, unlike spinning sheep fiber.

I learned such a lot about estimating the draw, getting a fairly consistent yarn, and remembering that you can't actually feel the fiber passing through your hand when you diz, unlike sheep fiber which is  coarser.

All in all an adventure. Thank you, goats and goatherder.

6 comments:

  1. I have never done anything like this but I have loved hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed coming along on the ride!

      Delete
  2. I love watching your adventures, Liz. Im nowhwere nearly as proficient at this stuff, trust me, but it does encourage me to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part of the fun of doing stuff is sharing it, so I'm glad you follow the capers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All in all a grand session of play! Give you a whole new appreciation for those who do this for a living doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to try all kinds of skills just for the insights, as well as the experience.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.