Saturday, May 9, 2020

Hats beta version





So CallMeMichelle and NameMe modeled the beta testing hats. And they turned out a bit small, too fragile, too ready to fray. So more thinking needed.

And I concluded that several changes had to happen: different weft material, tougher, more vivid colors, springtime after all, different, bigger, loom, different warping so as to achieve fringeless finish. I learned all this from Hats One and Two. Sounds like Dr Seuss.

And the result was this setup


Ribbons, same warp thread, cotton, and a round loom that allows for warping with loops at warp ends. Yes, it's a circular saw blade, donated along with a couple of others to the studio by my contractor who thought they might work in mixed media. They're a bit heavy for that, but they're great looms. I made my entire Planet Series on them, most of which lives in collections now.

Anyway, back to hats.


This is the new weaving under way, with a section left unworked as before. I should explain this -- it's so that the two sides can be drawn and stitched together, to form a cone, which you can then manipulate further to a hat shape.



Here's the back of the loom, showing you the loops, the tape being what holds the warp ends im place until you're ready to remove the weaving.

Then the last band of color. This is really for CallMeMichelle because it's her sorority colors, the pink and green, but she's holding on to the test hat for now. You see the first loop released, ready to be drawn through till it snugs into the center.

So Blondie Firstborn generously (!) offered to model Hat Three.



U

And I'm now instructed to make four more, all different. So this little idea to whip up a few hats has now become seven hats, two looms, all the ribbon, tape, tiny tools.

But first I'm going for a walk.

10 comments:

  1. Those are all so cute! I hope your walk is good and doesn't involve falling trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I would not have thought of using a saw blade as a loom. You are not only creative but also very smart! I love the little people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There's very little that can't be used as a loom, once you get under way!

      Delete
  3. All the hats are wonderful - even the ones that didn't quite work out. Blondie is a bombshel in that pink and green one. You just never cease to amaze me. A saw blade loom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very pleased you recognized her talents. Blondie Firstborn now wants to keep that hat. We'll see what CallMeMichelle has to say about it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for staying with it and not storming off saying this makes no sense!

      Delete
  5. Oh oh, are Blondie Firstborn and CallMeMichelle about to have a knock down fight over a hat? My goodness, they're a feisty lot aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll give Blondie Firstborn a new one and see if I can keep her occupied while CallMeMichelle secures hers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.