Saturday, May 16, 2020

State of play in three acts

Since like most people, my concentration is shorter these days, I'm working on these three fronts more or less in turn:

The Dolliver Hat Project

Two done. The second is a bit different, the point flattened in to make a different shape, same procedure




This weaving, a lot of firm pulling in the process, is quite hard on your fingers, so it needs to switch to this




I've changed from the bright green fabric behind the yellow, too shouty, and replaced it with fussycut Indian sari organdy. Fussy cut is a silly term meaning cut so that a specific part of the fabric design is shown. Much happier with this, though it's a good bit harder to work with.  There may be beading, too.

And here's the latest arrival on the fiber front, with a portrait of the source




Cashmere, raw fiber, combed off a goat, wonderful surprise present, and ready to make its acquaintance with the diz. This is so soft you pick it up and have to check there's something in your hand. It smells very subtle, different from sheep fiber. You need to enjoy handling and smelling and knowing the source to really get the most from this experience. Which I plan to.

So that's  the current state of play around here. Play being the operative word.

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! The hats are perfect for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They're grudgingly acknowledging they like them. But they're drowned out by the shouts from the other three demanding theirs.

      Delete
  2. good to have several things to work on. I have several things I could be working on if I could just get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hats are wonderful and they have clearly lifted the spirits of the ones that wear them. (even if they don't want you to know that!)

    I love the peachy tones of the new project and the prospects of what you will do with the cashmere are exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Far be it from any Dolliver to show they like new kit. They're afraid if they seem content that I'll stop trying to please them. It's a power move!

      Delete
  4. I am intrigued by the spool knitter arms and legs of the little dolls. Is that wire or pipe cleaner inserted to provide stability?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's Icord just knitting. I guess you could insert pipe cleaners if you wanted, though.

      Delete
    2. I adapted them from Knitted Babes by Claire Garland. She just knitted strips for arms and legs but I wanted them more substantial.

      Delete
  5. Those hats are the height of spring fashion and it's no wonder the rest of the D's are anxiously waiting for theirs. And cashmere - just the thought of running your fingers through it....aaah. I would keep it just for fondling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hats are working quite well. I've learned, again, how big doll heads are!

      Delete
  6. The hats are perfect on their respective Dollivers. But I suppose you planned it that way. I trust these gals are grateful for all you do for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised if they were! Entitled, thy name is Dolliver!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.