Friday, November 22, 2019

Two new things pushing in



So here's a bunch of linen and cotton lawn, steeping in washing soda, to be boiled a while then left overnight. Then it's ready to dye


Tomorrow I'll test out this iris dye from the freezer, and for once I've remembered to get it out to thaw ahead of time. It's the remains of a vat of paper pulp I made from my iris foliage.

It made great paper and the leftover liquid might work nicely as a dye. We'll see. No shibori this time, just dyeing. This is a muted green. If it works, fine, if not I can add in pink dye from red maple and red onionskins. We'll see how it goes.

So that's one idea under way.


And this is the other, the  start of a wall hanging I've been thinking about for ages. Donated silk fat quarters, thank you Cindy, and an organdy wedding  sari, thank you Girija. There are two finished edges, which is helpful, because they're nice and squared up.

Ideas are like buses, a bunch of them arrive at once, honking and shoving and being loud and demanding.

Tomorrow I finish the appliques for the current work,the frivolous pillow, install it on the sofa, then this will all start to happen. I've already stored away the pieces from it for future reference.

Much more to do here, involving paper piecing and transparency. Tiny needles  and silk thread, and probably 60° diamonds. No hexies.

2 comments:

  1. Serves me right for reading quickly because at first I was astounded that our Boud was going to be stitching with diamonds. Wow. Liz Taylor has nothing on you!! (oops)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.