Saturday, November 16, 2019

Patchwork, applique, shibori, making friends

So I woke this morning knowing what the patchwork I've been stitching away at, will be.



As you see, I've stitched, recut, restitched, getting more complex as it goes. There are several layers in this pic. And now I know what I'm doing.

I'll cut the PW into coins of various sizes, and applique them to two pillow cases for the loveseat that visitors sit on. With pillows inside, yes.

However, the coin theme is going into the cases as well. I'm shibori dyeing them, even as I type, using beads, rings, other rounded shapes, to make the ring shapes.

The dyebath is a mix of red maple from my patio tree, black walnut from the giant trees out back and turmeric from my spice shelf. I'm looking for a warm background for the bright primaries of the patchwork.

After boiling in washing soda for an hour, to remove any sizing or insecticide that would block the dye, then rinsing


Here's the doings ready


And the tying done then  immersing in the dyebath for an hour plus, we'll see how the dye works.





 Typically it's subtle, once it's rinsed, when you use natural dyes. So we'll see how it looks  in a while. Ages since I dived into the freezer in search of dyes.

I still have quite a bit of iris, that's green, dye in there..and plans occur to me now.. different project..

Meanwhile, back to stitching.

2 comments:

  1. Your freezer does yield some interesting things! I just bought some alum on the weekend with the thought to try using it to cook some fabric prior to shaving cream dyeing. Wonder if we're both muttering something along the lines of 'bubble, bubble, toil and trouble' (accompanied by a mad cackle).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alum is a good mordant, likewise washing soda, which has a posh chemical name in the dyebooks. Vinegar too. All depends on the fabric. And all safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.