Saturday, November 30, 2019

More motifs made

It's good to be using the silk printouts finally.  I've made several using motifs from my own art, drawing, goldwork, weaving, and my frugal soul likes having another use of the pieces this way.

Daffodil drawing, which I ran a line of stitches round, then cut out and overstitched. No need for a template here.


Here I'm using a template to make another of the motifs I adapted from the Indian sari






I need four, to arrange in relation to each other. This one is a printout of a bit of weaving.

The template I made only one of, since, after each motif is stitched around, it's stable and will be appliqued, not attached to the other motifs, so I can remove the template and use it on another motif.

These are not easy to cut, fine silk being slippery and changing shape even as you cut. But the close overstitching will take care of the couple of places where it was too close.

And I thought those readers with full sewing rooms and all sorts of materials and storage methods would like to see my entire current work area



And the drawer below, with everything else.



In the studio I have about a six inch pile of fabric bits. I'm not in a welter of materials!

And I still can't find stuff.

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes think that having less in the way of creative materials is much better for forcing the artist to work outside the box. I know I have too much 'stuff' and have been working to reduce the amount over the past two or three years. Sadly I can't see that I've made much headway! I swear it must be expanding as I sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Materials form their own pressure! But for some workers they're very easy to acquire..then there's the question of how to employ them. I like to have the concept then assemble the materials to make it happen. Or adapt what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend toward the squirrel attitude. Right now I'm hip deep in curtains, and rather than spend a fortune on fabric, I head for one stash or another to see what might work.
    It really engages the creative juices to think, 'I wonder if this would work..." "Maybe if I turned it sideways..." and suddenly I'm finding ideas everywhere.

    I prefer to work with what I have, and spread out from there. It's more of a challenge, but more fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it all stems from my hating to shop! Easier to make than buy. Anyway yes, prowling through what's at hand is fun. You see things differently.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.