Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Reverse applique

So here are the first few of the constellation of hexies, reverse appliqued using organdie from a wedding sari.

 They work like windows, and I'm feeling hopeful about the progress of this one.  Selecting the exact part and direction of the fabric that shows through is like moving matboard around to shape an artwork. And each hexie is a separate artwork, but carries on the movement of the last one.





When I pick up needle and thread to work on these, tricky bits, a great sense of peace and continuity comes down.

 I stitched  for a little while last evening on these. Accompanied by audiobook Venetia by Georgette Heyer. Quite a good combo.

8 comments:

  1. Well done. I've done a little reverse applique as a break from traditional applique. Hand work is great for audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like the feel of applique in my hands, regular or reverse. This work will involve both.

      Delete
  2. They look intersting, and a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose so. It doesn't feel that way when you're engrossed.

      Delete
  3. This is so difficult; my hands ache in considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it delegated to me! My hands are still pretty good as long as I don't get carried away and forget to stop.

      Delete
  4. It looks fiddly, and yet calming at the same time. Hand stitching is the best (sez I who is still recuperating from over 9 hours spent whip stitching!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trap, the inability to stop. Ask me how I know this!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.