Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Knitting is programming

In the course of a convo on Twitter about women programming while knitting, someone posted a scrap of pattern*



And I thought I'd try it. Old motifs didn't always keep to the same number of stitches bper row, and this one, following the pattern meticulously, went from 12 to 8 in the course of the 18 row motif. Every row fitted the pattern, no extra nor missing stitches.



 It creates a wedge shape, but I think this would fit into a bigger work, with tge lines traveling more or less diagonally,  in a series of wedges. This might have been a pattern panel, too, with stockinette around it. Anyway, I thought it was fun to try.

If you want to, cast on 12 and go!

I have one quibble with this line of argument, which is that programmers are not following instructions, they're creating them for the computer to follow.  I'd say that knitting designers are programmers. The rest of us are more data entry people.

*Terrible photo quality, because I was following Twitter on tablet, had to take pic of pic on tablet via phone, which refused to upload to blogger,  which meant I had to take the pic on the phone with the tablet, then upload. The condition of the camera operator not much better than pic at this point, but I mean well!

6 comments:

  1. I admit, reading crochet directions aren't easy for me. I can turn a full size afghan into the size of a coaster...not on purpose. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a lot of crochet before ever learning to read pattern instructions. But I learned knitting pretty young and patterns didn't seem so intimidating.

      Delete
  2. And as my programmer son in law once pointed out to me, weaving drafts are rudimentary IO instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comparison from programming to patterning - certainly never thought of that. I often wonder just how knitters and crocheters manage to come up with new patterns and have the presence of mind to remember to write things down as they do them. How many rough drafts must they do before they hit on a finished design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of them count on test knitters to fix and test and correct the basic design, too. Like blogger launching a bug ridden new format, don't get me started!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.