Tuesday, December 22, 2020

So here's what may send me off on a tangent

Just looking at the SpinOff newsletter, which suddenly shows up in my email now and then, and mostly isn't right on point for me.  But this one is.

See here Pseudorolags It's about a different way of preparing fiber for spinning and I think it might just be a bit of fun for me to try, given that I have quite a few different fibers to try it with.  Hm.

About the name pseudorolags!  Rolags are little sort of sausages of fiber, which you create with your carder and spin from.  I made them when I had that raw fleece and consequently tons of fiber to work with. These are made without any tools at all, just your hands and maybe a couple of pencils to roll them on.  Right up my alley.  Simple is good.

No sooner said than did.

Wisps of fiber layered


Several colors incorporated, then rolled up

And here's the resulting yarn.  It drafted very well, considering it consisted of many layers of short fibers.You see the parent fibers on the left.

And I'm quite pleased with the fineness of the yarn I was able to get.  I did this on my smallest spindle.

I think this will happen more.  You can design as you go, depending on what you put in the rolls.



5 comments:

  1. That is very pretty. I want to reach out and touch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what made me try it, when I saw pictures of someone's fiber laid out like that. You just wanted to get in and do it.

      Delete
  2. I thought the puff of fibers was cotton candy. Lol
    Merry Christmas
    🎄

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great fun to see the results of your experiments and I enjoy your inquisitiveness. I can't imagine you ever being bored!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.