Saturday, December 26, 2020

It came upon a midnight clear

This is what happened on Christmas Eve, as I was looking for Christmas music on YouTube.  I just found in my feed another fiber prep video, this time not about pseudorolags, but about -- fauxlags!  And Spinning Sara, a great teacher, who knows exactly how to demonstrate, and when to explain and when to just show, introduced me to this wonderful prep method, better for a solid color than the  pseudos, which are a way of blending as you go.

Here's a dense chunk of roving, needing to be opened up and aired before working it.


Sara draws it out gently end to end, like this.  The black pants are a good background for this, but not a good choice for staying fluff free, but it's all in a good cause

So instead of a dense mass, you end up with this long airy fiber length

Which you roll, a single turn, onto something handy of the right size.  She has a wooden piece of a loom which works fine, and I went in search of something like it in my art supplies.  I rummaged through my pvc pipe bag of bits, and found just the thing.  Once again, pvc pipe is the answer.  Just the right length and diameter.


See how you roll, one revolution of the pipe before breaking the fiber, into hollow tubes?


And this is the whole length of fiber made into these fauxlags, just waiting to spin.

By this time it was after midnight, and I still had to try spinning them before I declared it a day, or night.

So here's the fluffy, airy result.  

Happy Spinner here.  And I did eventually find the London Brass playing a wonderful concert of Christmas music, out of doors, brass instruments standing up to cold a bit better than others.

And  proved yet again that makers are a little crazed as people go.


4 comments:

  1. That's neat to know. Reminds me of untangling fairy lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you for the comment on my blog! I have a bunch of rollags made from dog fur that I hope to spin sometime...I have not spun before but I have a wheel that works. I have some wool roving that I can practice with before doing the dog fur...from 4 very special dogs from years ago...I washed it dried it and carded it I used a knitting needle to make the rollags right off the carders.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A person after my own heart. I spun and wove my cats fur into a couple of earlier tapestries. One black cat, one cream colored. They're long gone but their fur persists.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.