Friday, October 30, 2020

Silk and self care

After an enforced day off from spinning, because I forgot to stop and my shoulders were complaining, I did a bit more today.

An introduced a snappy new tool into my dizzing array. I'd been using a crochet hook to thread the roving, but noted that some kits come with a wire threader. 

So I searched for my fine gauge copper wire, used for mixed media including wire knitting.


And here's a loop at work

You see the dizzed result in this lovely heap of color, along with the gold and orange rovings yet to be dizzed.

The shreddy yarn on the spindle is Indian sari silk, rescued for spinning, lovely to feel as it glides through your fingers. There was just a scrap of this. I love that it was saved from pulping, or just discarding, to reuse.

 I think the slippery gold and orange colors are probably silk, too, judging from how they feel and handle, and the saturation of the colors. I spun a bit last evening, to try it out. It's partly covered on the spindle by the sari silk.

I'm being more conscientious now about taking breaks and stopping before I get carried away. That's the plan, anyway.

7 comments:

  1. Good idea. You have a vast amount of spinning to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really need to remember not to overdo it when I see all the lovely roving waiting. And I keep having new ideas on which colors to spin in sequence and what to ply. It's a nice problem to have.
      And I learned the weavers knot this evening, finally, because splicing isn't always the answer.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're taking care of yourself, Liz. I find if I stitch or crochet or knit for very long, my right shoulder lets me know about it. It's been scolding me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers your shoulders are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. The day off was good. Today I did chair yoga and took a walk in the sunshine. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to recognize what your body is telling you - and even better when you pay attention. Something I would do well to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taking me a while. I have the feeling of when in doubt just keep going. Not always the best policy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.