Sunday, August 16, 2020

One thing done, another underway and a third one just an idea

 So the jacket is finished, and I really like it. Once the weather cools off, it's going to be my go to.



All the seams are clean finished in different ways depending on location.


And here's me solemnly posing

Then falling down laughing at the whole idea. The weird thing in my throat is nothing more sinister than a trick of reflection.

The diagonal scarf, don't worry, I won't push yet another pic at you, is underway, and the next thing on the horizon is fabric dyeing and papermaking.

Half the chest freezer is for the raw materials, in fact the reason I bought it


Half is for food. Admittedly, to the untrained observer, it's hard to tell which is which. 

Seems like a fair distribution.  And I was reminded about my dyeing and papermaking plans by my neighbor's disaster recounted in Here

I need to do the papermaking before the weather gets cold, because it's outdoor work on account of the gallons of water involved.

Which reminds me, as I searched for the right word there, of a dear artist friend with whom I showed in a group, wonderful pastel painter.

 We hadn't had a group meeting for a while and she asked me if she'd missed anything. I said, no, I think we're in abeyance right now. Whereupon she said indignantly, "Nobody told me they were traveling!"

7 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. That is one fine bit of sewing. Now I must tell you, back in the day I drew patterns for the clothing we made, I used a dinner plate. As I remember, the front neck opening was half a plate and the back was a quarter. Or something. It's been a long time. That jacket is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really like it. With the leftovers I can make one hand towel and several washcloths or mitts. Plain sewing when I need to do something simple.

      Delete
  2. That jacket is amazing! Have you ever taken the wrong item out of the freezer and then later discovered it was not quite what you planned for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at labeling for that reason! So the yogurt container of black walnut dye doesn't get mixed up with the container of lentil soup!
      For nervous readers: none of the materials I freeze is toxic. I never use toxic mordants, plants, etc. And the pots and tools I use for dyeing and papermaking are in any case specific to those uses. Eg one blender for food, another for papermaking.

      Delete
  3. That jacket looks cozy and a great thing to throw on once it chills off. And how cool is all that raw material for dyes! I hope you take pictures of your dying process. Looking forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will. I've done it before in this blog. I think you can search my labels if you're interested in seeing previous dyeing events.

      Delete
  4. That jacket is most excellent! Bound to see a whole lot of cozy use too I would think.
    And I'm happy because there's some dye adventures about to happen - always of interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.