Wednesday, December 5, 2018

New learning, double sided knitting

So while all the other moving parts are going along, Icord, circles, Gsquares, thought I'd try out a new skill, double sided knitting. Each side is a mirror image of the other. I tried a checkerboard pattern and got so confused that I thought I'd better start with something plainer.

 The idea is that the checks in, say,  brown on one side are, the other color, here white,  on the other. Also that it's a very warm double fabric for hats, scarves, potholders, coasters that sort of thing. And having just come in from a perishing cold walk, I'm all the more eager to get into this.

Incidentally, I was wearing the long scarf from another knitter that I redyed and felted a while back. Felt is windproof.

So here's where we are. I watched Arne and Carlos, came away entertained but still in the dark, since they plunged into a pattern right away. Then I watched a couple of other videos, a bit more useful, except thst nobody explains why they're doing what they're doing, just demo'ing the doing..

Nobody seems to know how to convey the concept clearly enough for me to learn from. I decided I'd better figure it out as I went. As soon as I know how to explain it, I will. Unless you're all tutting and saying it's not HARD, why can't you just get it, the way I did, in which case, thank you, next!!

Anyway it's a wonder this yarn isn't worn out, been knitted and raveled several times. But it's finally working.  As you see:





After I get the hang of just why it's working, I'll take another shot at a pattern. It's one thing to find it works but another to see why, and  apply this info to a different way of doing it.

So that's what's up chez Boud.

5 comments:

  1. this is utterly fascinating. I can see how you cast on, from the photo. Now I want to try it, to see how much of a hash I can make out of the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why should I suffer alone?? It's k one p one throughout. Whatever you purl becomes the main color on the other side. Whatever you knit becomes the main color on the side facing you. You keep the yarns untwisted except at the end of the row where you twist them on purpose, or the two sides won't stay together. The other way to do this is to knit the first two stitches on the line as one.

      At least that's how it seems to me right now! Go for it. Despite my moaning it's actually quite engrossing.

      Delete
  2. Double knitting - not in my near future I don't think. Alas I'm going to have to allow you to suffer alone. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on in, the water's lovely..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.