Sunday, December 9, 2018

Double knitting continued, a pattern!!

I created a modest design for my double knitting adventure. I've finally started to get a feel for it, and I daringly added a little square to my stripes. There will be a few more, offset from this one, more interest there.




Can't count how many times I've reknitted parts of it, learning a bit each time. Some of it is just the technique of doing it, some has to do with the way the yarns lie, some involves how to physically hold all the moving parts. Some involves how tired you get when you forget to take breaks. And some slips can be fixed by adjusting the yarn from the other side, a blessing.

It's the most engrossing knitting I've ever done, and the slowest. And the least adept looking.

I have ideas for using gradient yarn, where the yarn does more of the work. But first I need to succeed with this. It may become a cowl, possibly a potholder if I run out of gumption.

I showed it to my knitting group on Friday, and one of them declared that she could not begin to understand this structure, since she was still grappling with the concept of garter stitch being stockinette when knitted in the round! Can't blame her. They were intrigued but clearly thought I was welcome to it!

6 comments:

  1. I think, sadly, that I am in the same camp as your knitting group members. Complicated, and knitting, don't play well together as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing it's not a contest! Just a fun idea to pursue. Or not!

      Delete
  2. I did a very small double knit project a couple of years ago when one of my favorite knitting/spinning bloggers - now quiet - posted a tutorial for a little pouch. It was just enough to get the concept, experience the thrill of discovering that a single mis-stitch meant the two separate sides had been tacked together in one spot an hour ago, and decide that this is a technique to use only when I am totally focused on the knitting. (I am not usually totally focused on the knitting.) I'll do it again...sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly. For me knitting is less about making things unless someone needs them, and more anout the architecture of the form. It's full of mysteries. So just learning how this works, however inept my work, is the good part. I have two pieces going, probably going to be coasters or potholders.

      Like the times I've knitted in lace, it's as you say, for times of focus only!

      Delete
  3. As you say focus is good. Currently attempting to learn kitting with two sets of circulars. At this point (hands aching) am wondering if its worth while. Apparently knitters either hate or love this method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I hate circulars, I'm likely not to like using two at once! Circulars are like little treadmills to me. I like dpns or long straights, because you can anchor them and work very comfortably. And you get regular breaks when you change needles.

    All my knitting group use circulars, so I'm outnumbered. But they're amazed when they realize you don't let the needles fly all over when you use straights. Very little movement really.

    Maybe it's what you learned on and got used to. They're adult learners. I have tried circulars, but didn't stay with them. I learned Continental too, just to see. And came back to English!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.