Saturday, October 3, 2020

Back to plain

After all that fancy stitching, I need to do a bit of plain.

Can't get much plainer than cutting up an old fitted sheet that doesn't fit any more, to make a couple of comfy tops. I thought of this idea as I was drifting off to sleep, Miss Marple wittering away quietly. 

I needed a couple of long sleeve tops for sleeping, or, if I like them enough, waking.

I was lying on a jersey sheet at the time and remembered an old fitted jersey sheet in the linen closet, too small to be comfortable on this bed, with various punctures from dear departed Duncan climbing up the side of the bed to join me. 

A source of fabric. So after a few tries, I found a layout that would work, using a top that fits, as a template. Resting on the fold, T shaped top, slit for neck, seams only for sleeves and sides. Simple design. No measuring and drafting.

And I found that my wingspread, wrist to wrist, is the width of the sheet. This means I have elastic wrist bands already made, yay.

So I marked it with one of those vanishing pens, seam allowance not critical, given that it's stretchy and won't fray.

Pinned it up, tried it on.

 Not bad.

All that's left is some peaceful stay stitching at the neck,  backstitching around the sides, to the accompaniment of Post Captain or whatever he is.  If I find little holes left by Duncan, I might do a bit of embroidery and make them lovely.

Not a bad couple of hours. And there's enough fabric left to make another if I like this one.

11 comments:

  1. I'm smiling reading this. The ultimate in up/recycling I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only our Boud would even so much as think of making tops out of sheets! And doing them well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you know the idea.. I vaguely remember people making coats out of blankets in ww2 Britain. I believe bedding didn't need coupons, so it was a bit easier to get a blanket in a dark color than save clothing coupons for a real coat. It's probably been strolling around in my thinking for that long!

      Delete
    2. I doubt you're familiar with Hudson's Bay blankets (it's a Canadian thing) but people used to make coats out of those too (suspect they still do).

      Delete
    3. I'm familiar with the blankets, but I didn't know people made them into coats. I bet they're warm.

      Delete
  3. this is a wonderful idea, Liz. I have some of those sheets and dislike them intensely as sheets, but I could make at least two nighties and possibly a top, at least from the fitted bottom sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing it right now. It's so comfortable, particularly compared to commercial knit tops. I'll definitely make at least one more now I know how.

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant idea; thanks for pointing me in this direction! I think sheets are a marvelous source of fabric. I often make curtains out of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.