Monday, January 11, 2021

Anniversary of the Great Winnowing, suggestions for dog hair

 This is the full extent of my art materials now, since the Great Winnowing of January 2020, those innocent days before lockdown.

And here's the now empty and echoing art studio on the top floor.


I have not missed a single item from the Winnowing, which benefited a lot of artists and students and the recycle, and some neighbors.  Only one tiny bag needed to be tossed in the garbage.

And. different subject,  here's the pin I made last Spring from cashmere goat fiber given by Quinn.  I ended up spinning, crocheting and felting to make this nest with eggs.  At the time I asked for and got a lot of interesting ideas from blogistas, which went into my finally deciding to make this.

Today I was offered a bag of hair from a beloved Belgian Malinois who died in early 2020.  Probably different texture, and I think may be mixed with another fiber in order to spin.  I will get maybe a couple of yards of yarn from it.  What I'm asking for is ideas on what to create from it as a possible gift to the owner.  She might like a small memento of her much missed companion.  I can spin, weave, crochet, knit, felt, whatever works. 

So would you come through again?  If you also read Field and Fen, you'll see this in there.  But since some people read only one of my two blogs, I thought I'd for once repeat myself, unusual for me, in order to catch as much input as I can.  Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. How nice to make something special for the dog's owner from the hair. Could you make a heart with a tiny paw or paws footprints on it? Because our sweet pets do leave footprints on our heart when they leave us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that's a great idea. Thank you. Noted.

      Delete
  2. I have spun dog hair, though on a wheel, not a spindle. You don't need to mix it with anything, unless you do so to have more yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This hair will be very coarse and might not spin well without a mixture of other fiber. Some dog hair is softer and spins better. We'll see. But yes, I would like more yarn out of it if possible.

      Delete
  3. I like the suggestion about the woven heart, maybe you could find a small double frame and put the heart in one side with the name and dates for the dog and in the other you or the companion of the dog could place a photo of it in the other frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good idea. So glad I asked in here. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Not being a weaver this idea is possibly not even in the realm of possibility, but the first thing that came to my mind was this....a heart, made from the hair, mounted on a woven background that was 'laced' onto a small picture frame (perhaps something 5x7"-ish). The woven background would be in a contrasting colour from the fibre from the dog. I can see it in my mind, but explaining the vision is a whole 'nother problem!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can get it. Or at least my concept of it. Thank you. This crowd sourcing works.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.