Monday, October 7, 2019

The last of the pillow gang

So, staying with the silk motif, I made a pillow with the last of the rosettes, the strawberry one.


Appliqued it onto a beautiful silk square  hemstitched, as in drawn threadwork, courtesy of Mittens. The hemstitching worked a treat at keeping the piece square.



Lined with another silk scarf in white which I had leftover from teaching a workshop




and backed with a piece of a skirt I got at the thriftie years ago, wore and wore, and here it is. 

The great trick, aside from finding a backing that looks lovely with the strawberries, is that it's a button-through skirt. So I cut it so that (or such that, as my math friends like to say)  the button placket runs up the back of the pillow.

That way I could stitch the pillow closed all the way around, then open the buttons and insert the stuffing. Much easier than stuffing then stitching the last seam. And it's a design feature! It's invisible at this point unless you actually handle it and encounter the buttons.

At this point I think all the rosettes are gainfully employed. Their maker may be at a loose end. For the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Another great finish - and isn't it great that your thrifted skirt is enjoying another life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pillow is lovely at your back. The silk is warm. A bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.