Wednesday, October 9, 2019

But here, bit there, adds up to an eventual artwork

At least, that's the plan.

Here are the last bits of the Kaffe Fassett scraps, basted ready to assemble,and  an experiment with some of the batik.

u

The diamonds will be appliqued to something as soon as I decide what.



And the leaves, cut out from the batik, I'm handling differently from the epp method. I'm overstitching them just with finger pressing. This will create an edge that will work for applique.

Here you see, at the left lower corner of the pic, the back of one, with the seam allowance, and on the right, the front of another, with a crisp edge.

The velvet back of the pillow turns out to be a good background.  I'm thinking about doing kantha, running stitches over the motifs. It's similar to sashiko. I'm under the influence of the Indian exhibit l showed you. Or maybe goldwork. We'll see.

Such peaceful work in a day of terrible war crimes by our "president".  After doing all I can to support the vote, including voting this week, and a big bank of get out the vote work, this is a kind of self care. Along the lines of putting your own oxygen mask on first.

I've been saying it all along, art will save us. And it comes in all forms.

 Including, for me,  remembering,  in prayer and stitching,our Kurdish friends from long ago Wisconsin days,  Najdat and Rajiha, and their little daughter, now probably an old lady herself. 

Hoping they have survived and will continue to. Lost touch long ago but I've  never forgotten them.

3 comments:

  1. More interesting experiments! As for the so-called 'president' - all we can do is hope and pray that saner heads will prevail and oust him sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's starting to crumble, thanks to some principled people in Washington.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.