Saturday, March 23, 2019

Thrills and spills in the studio

After several unsuccessful attempts with the first jig, involving bits flying about, and sudden dramatic unwindings, I ended up using the frame you see here. Tied firmly with tape and rubber bands.



Not ideal, but I don't have the drill bit needed to make a better jig. If this doesn't work I'll get my contractor friend to help.

Meanwhile, here it is warped up, so far so good. It's not a solid frame, just stretchers I can separate to remove it when warping is complete. The drawback is that it's a bit big, which means a lot of slack when it's removed.  That's ze moment of trrruth for the tensioning mechanism. And the weaver.

This is part one of the warping. Next the supplemental warps go in, stretching from the top of the jig to the top of the loom, and from the bottom of the jig to the bottom of the loom, looping at every turn with the warp on the jig.

This will enable me to remove the jig, leaving the warp in place, supported top and bottom by the supplemental warp threads. You'll see what this all means when I do it tomorrow.


But meanwhile, back at the ranch,  hope springs eternal, and, as you see, I pulled out a few old paintings as wildly optimistic design ideas. I can dream. The finished piece will be 8"x5", a great Fibonacci shape.

At least, that's the plan.


4 comments:

  1. Having read your post a couple of times, I almost understand what you are doing. So waiting with avid interest your next post.
    My twig venture has taught me a lot especially a much better understanding of warp tension and spacing. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you tried it. Every time I do anything in weaving I learn a bit more. Hoping that the next bit of warping doesn't send me back to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit to having a great deal of curiosity to see what you're going to do next. It's clear as mud at the moment - at least to the weaving-challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This process wasn't very clear to me, confident as I may sound. Doing it makes it clearer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.