Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Curating, a rare event around here

I'm usually making, rarely looking back. But these favorite socks, Cabled Top Socks by Noreen Crome-Findlay, called for some care. Knitted ages ago with yarn given to me, which ran out, I ended up with toes in a different yarn. And wore one out. But since the worn out part was all the second yarn, it wasn't hard to pick up stitches and cut away the unwanted part.



It was triggered by seeing Arne and Carlos and their easiest sock in the world, where they knit a kind of tube up from the toe, but insert a row of scrap yarn where the heel will go. Then go back to pick up stitches on either side of the scrap yarn, to knit the heel

. Similar idea here. Picking up the stitches before removing the unwanted yarn.

The hard part was tracking down my pattern to see how to do it, and searching for a set of  size three dpns to do it. Then, nervous knitting over breakfast on election day, and here we are with the rebuild done. With another nonmatching yarn, but the other was long gone.



And, rainy cold day, these are the best socks for right now. I made and gave a couple of pairs of these socks for friends, years ago. Didn't do the cable top, but the spiral is really interesting to see as it develops. Since it molds to your foot, there's no heel turning. I made these socks a long time ago, when I was a bigger size and they were snugger then.

And the long knitting sampler idea is going on. Plus some Icord, which will decorate it once I get a lot more done. I've done several areas of beading, much to the interest of my knitting group who were unfamiliar with the process of beading using a crochet hook. I have a few of the very fine ones you need for this, and offered to give one to anyone wanting to try it out.



Let's hope we save the republic before the end of the day. If not, I will be out there working again. Actually, if so, I'll still be out there doing my bit. There's always need of some kind.

If you have the US vote and have not yet used it, please do. If you have, thank you, and maybe cast on a bit of knitting to get you through the evening of returns.

3 comments:

  1. Haven't knitted enough socks yet to have to face repairs - rather suspect I will prefer knitting new over mending. The scarf/hanging is growing by leaps and bounds! As for the election....not quite what we hoped for, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this off for a long time, but tge blue yarn is really good and I thought repairing was better than lying in a drawer. Really glad I did it.

    The election was a triumph in many ways. Dem House, including an almost clean sweep in my own state. Nearly 300 state leg seats won. Half a dozen governorships, these are critical to holding power. My son's health insurance is now safe. DACA has been established by yet another fed judge as legitimate. Another tax repeal will not happen. There's a lot to celebrate.

    Not possible to retake the Senate, gerrymandered to favor the GOP.

    And best of all, the chairmanships of the House wil be in Dem hands. Subpoenas will rain down on the criminals in the gov. Rohrabacher is gone, a major Putin puppet.

    I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a win on several fronts then, which is good news. Would have been even better had the Senate been overthrown too, but I guess that would have been too much of a miracle. We wait....and hope..

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.