Monday, November 26, 2018

Art is what happens when you had a different thing in mind

I worked on the fabric piece again and decided I'd better be two flights up, in the studio where the light is better, the iron lives and the small stash of fabric and ribbon is to be found. This is the result of watching Arne and Carlos make a crazy quilt square and ironing each piece before stitching. Then again after stitching. This results, along with their massive talent, in a great finish. I developed partner envy, since one stitched, one ironed. Definitely speeds things up.

A good idea, it turned out, because in the studio I found a few interesting bits from old fiber artworks which I can up cycle, and I came across the rest of those silk printouts I made. These are images of my own artworks, scanned then printed on transparent silk.

I already started thinking about another work, quilt style, using them, and did incorporate a couple into the current artwork. But a couple of happy juxtapositions happened, looking at my own embroidery with a transparency. They go well, and they say something, always a good thing when art makes sense.

Here's the piece I'm officially working on, with a lot of bits of old artworks  appearing. Far to go yet.


And here's a  black stitched bird on white lawn, under a transparency of the collection of my Easter eggs, a few of which I paint every year, keep one, give away the rest.



 I like this statement.



And here's a drawing of a weed at the labyrinth I drew onsite then made again at home,  stitching freehand, using the drawing as a reference. It's overlaid with a  transparency of a mixed media piece, long gone to a collector, about tidepools. There's a small alternate version of this in the current piece.

Surprisingly productive day.

2 comments:

  1. I can hear the satisfaction in your voice - and the excitement too. Nice when both come together at one time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exciting! Then there's a letdown. But I shall rise again.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.