Saturday, September 1, 2018

Collaborative art! knitting style

This is how women's art works. We learn from women long gone, and once in a while we get to collaborate with a departed sister-in-knitting.




I've finished the first heel turn, and to say I'm pleased with it is putting it mildly. I think Jeanette's lending a hand. Now I'm on to the second, following her plan on doing both of them simultaneously. That way they match and get done together. See that cool seam effect up the back of the heel? And the lovely triangle as the shortrowing starts to work. Easy stitch pick up is guaranteed by the slipped stitches at row beginnings on the flap. Best work I've done to date, thanks to this design. It's worked on four needles,which I much prefer over five. I just like working around a triangle rather than a square.

Once finished they're promised to my friend, js sister.  And I've messaged the author via Ravelry to thank her, too. Wonderful instructions, clear and friendly. And another way women preserve their art, by retrieving and updating long ago patterns to share on. We have Nancy Bush to thank for reviving these nineteenth century treasures.

4 comments:

  1. A great project - and will be much appreciated by your friend's sister I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette is the knitter who died, and my friend Helen and I both feel she's keeping an eye on things! A neighbor stopped by a while ago with condolences, and stayed to admire the socks and take pictures!! Funny. He's amazed that knitting is like sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I got an appreciative note from Nancy Bush about this sock adventure. Really good to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy Bush does good work, as do you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.