Saturday, September 15, 2018

New natural dyeing caper

Inherited a nicely knitted long tail shawly thing in colors I don't like at all, I'm trying a bit of dyeing.


Here's the dye bath with red onionskin dye, from the freezer, thawing gently, with mordant of alum and cream of tartar, and the shawl resting on it. I'd soaked it in water for a couple of hours, then moved to lukewarm water before squeezing it out and adding to the thawing dye. Gradual temperature change to avoid felting. It might be superwash, no way to know, but best to be cautious.

I'm baking bread in the oven, but all the dye ingredients and mordant are food safe, so no worries other than finding room for everything.

So I'm interested in seeing what shade I get from this experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.