Thursday, August 30, 2018

Knitting in three stages

I've been inundated with yarn, about ten bags, new, clean, cared for, as my friend empties her late sister's apartment, plus art supplies, books, a lot of very good items.

So I've started passing them along to various art and knitting friends, and seeing what I might use, since the sister had said firmly she wanted everything to be used, one way or another.

The latest batch came yesterday, and included a half made pair of socks, on size one dpns, probably knitted alternately to make sure the pair matched and got finished. In the trove was also this book, a collection of sock patterns from a nineteenth century magazine which went out of business in the late century.  So I'm thinking of doing some detective work since I think these socks are from the book. I may finish them and give them to my friend, to honor her sister.




Meanwhile I had knitted one half of a vest, seen here in blue wool, but there wasn't enough to complete it. Sent away for more yarn, meanwhile embarked on a cheerful cotton version seen here. The vest is fun to knit.

You see the piece in blue? That middle curve is the armhole. This bit goes from center front to center back. The second half does same for the other side. Then you button it up front and back. You only need join the shoulders. Then it's reversible, round or v neck at front.

Very inventive design. I will need ten buttons for each vest. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of making them myself, clay, or knitted, not sure. They need to be comfortable to lean back on, since there will be back buttons however you wear it.

It looks as if my fall and winter projects are upon me. Here was I thinking about trying my hand at spinning flax, but I think that's for later.

5 comments:

  1. That's a very thoughtful idea about the socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how the universe sometimes presents you with a task? It's in your hands, nobody else knows how or knows the significance? That's how I felt when I unearthed these socks from a huge bag of yarn. Didn't feel like a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever! Yes, of course. And they'd be washable, and I could use yarns that work!! Thank you for a terrific suggestion. Im very glad I asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I responded, the friend stopped by with yet more yarn and a chat and a weep. She's exhausted. But we measured her foot and she's fine with the whole idea of the finished socks. So this should work. She's a knitter but scared of dpns, so it's not something she could do for herself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.