Thursday, November 22, 2018

Moving along there




This is a great visual adventure, as the shapes and colors start to make sense. That ragged bit looked at first like a ragged bit, but when muffled by the organza, turned into a distant mountain range. Or possibly the Cleveland Hills, from Yorkshire childhood, which insert themselves a lot into my work without notifying me first. Meanings keep coming and going, and I started adding on top, instead of waiting to embellish. The additions are part of the composition, can't just be stuck in at the end, I now realize.

This is probably where I depart from the tradition of crazy quilting. There's more of a Gee's Bend influence moving in. I say this with humble recognition of the high art of the GB  quilt artists. I know I'm making art because my brain gets tired, and about an hour is as long as I can work without setting it aside and resting my ability to actually see what's going on.

With crafting, making something already decided on, such as knitting to a pattern, I can go on till my hands inform me they're ready to stop.

And I had to break down and shop. For rotary cutter blades. Both my cutters are down to their last blade which is blunt, so I had to. It will be nice to have cutter action that's less like gnawing and more like clean cutting.


4 comments:

  1. Love watching someone else's process and progress, everyone is different, aren't they. I find that for me, sometimes a comeplete stop is necessary, to revaluate what comes next. And sometimes something better happens, because of it.

    I guess it's the way artists step away from the painting to see what they need to do next. The AHA factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying the journey. Yes, exactly like painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gnawing rotary blade - interesting thought (but ever so true!). Enjoying the evolution of this piece. I imagine it's very soft to the touch with all the silk fabrics....mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of it can hardly be felt at all, very fine silk, you mainly see rather than feel. I like that most of the pieces are already artworks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.