Friday, July 24, 2020

Summer jacket shaping up

 Shoulder and back seams stitched, side seams pinned only, first fitting. This is starting to look nice. I like the drape. 




It needs to hang overnight and try on again before I press it and stitch up the side seams.



It's going to be a jacket, because I need another color between this one and my face. With a white shirt it will look good. 

I will have a good bit of work to do to finish the seams, because this weave frays. I'm thinking bias tape over the top to seal them.  Same with neckline and hem. French seaming would be too bulky, likewise run-and-fell, so I think bias tape will work better.

I like all the decisions at each stage of even a simple piece like this. If I also like the end result, I have the basic diagram on file.

You opened up a great little project with this fabric, Joanne, thank you. The leftovers will make nice facecloths and shower mitts, I think. Nothing will be wasted!

Off to my virtual knitting group now.

6 comments:

  1. You're welcome. I'm so sorry it's not cotton, but then, it would be towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine with it. Cotton wouldn't hang as fluidly.

      Delete
  2. Simple? Nothing about this looks the least bit simple to me! Sewing clothing is NOT my forte and so I'll have to take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really needs good seam stitching. The actual shaping is simple, cut to not need darts. But if none of this is familiar, I can see it looks mystifying.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.