Friday, July 3, 2020

Blueberries fir the Fourth, and a discovery

Handsome Son is coming over later today, working the Fourth, so I'm seizing the day and the cake. Original recipe used strawberries, but I went for blueberries. See my valuable handwritten notes, now lodged in the Big Binder





This is from YouTube, make it in five minutes they said. Not counting the hour to bake it. Nor the fifteen minutes looking up grams to cups. But it did come out looking good. Later I'll cut into it. I want him to see it before it's cut. There's an extra pleasure in seeing it then.

And in the course of reading a Joanne Fluke mystery, I saw what probably everyone but me knew: you don't have to buy thousand island dressing. She studs her mysteries with recipes because her detective is in food. So I tried this today.



Ketchup, mayonnaise, sweet relish. Mixed up. Applied to hot dog. Really good



So this is another thing I don't have to buy, added to the list of buttermilk, brown sugar, curry powder, crumpets, crackers. That list is longer than I realized. It includes sweater racks, garden sprinklers, heddles and other things starting to come to mind now I'm thinking about the category.

Well, happy Fourth to everyone celebrating it, pleasant Saturday to everyone else!

10 comments:

  1. I'm in the wrong blog. Pretend you're in Field and Fen and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered but whatever...LOL

    That cake looks delish. I have some frozen blueberries. I wonder if I really drained them would it work. Only way to know is try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine were frozen. I'd put them in the freezer right from the farm. I just microwaved them for one minute then added them in. They're mixed in with the batter as well as strewn about on top.

      Delete
  3. That cake sure looks good! When I was a kid we mixed up our own salad dressings. We made thousand island just like you did and also made French by mixing ketchup, mayonnaise and a little lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must note that French dressing. I rarely use them really, usually oil and vinegar, but I suddenly thought it would be a change.

      Delete
  4. And a happy fourth to you. How nice your son is visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We had a lovely afternoon. He lives very locally but works so many hours that I'm happy when I can get to see him.

      Delete
  5. The blueberry cake looks delish! I would certainly happily tuck into a generous slice. As for the Thousand Island dressing - we've made ours for years and I can't remember what the real thing tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, everyone else knows it. I never buy salad dressing anyway. It just happened that I had mayonnaise for once, and ketchup mainly for visiting son.

      Delete
  6. Happy 4th of July to You & Your Love Ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.