Sunday, April 21, 2019

Dyeing at Easter

Happy Easter to you if you celebrate it, and since chez boud today is about working, Handsome Son being at work, we'll celebrate tomorrow when he's free.

So today I'm dyeing a lot of  white warping thread, and emptying the freezer at the same time.



So far I've used red onion, spinach, yellow onion, black walnut and iris. Still simmering are black walnut, spinach and yellow onion.



 

Seen on left is some of the iris, then the next four are gradations of the red onion. 

The iris is the liquid from the papermaking  vat left from making iris paper after all the paper pulp was used up, and it works as dye, too. This was one of those frugal ideas I get. Also lazy, since this way there's no need to make the dye all over again.

I did the red onion over several hours, giving different hanks a progressively longer dyeing time, to get a gradation.

 It's very subtle, but in use I think it will be effective. And I am eager to weave with all this thread, very different from my homespun yarn and the embroidery floss I've been working in up to now.

2 comments:

  1. Great results and now I'm anxious to see what happens next. Your blog is rather like a great soap opera!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also wondering what happens next! Only general ideas at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.