Tuesday, February 14, 2012

TAST Week Seven Running Chain aka Detached Chain, aka Lazy Daisy!

I had already used this stitch in several ways on my dyed silk piece, which you see here with all three panels now attached, because the shape of running chain lends itself to activating space, to "seeding" areas with interest without attracting too much attention to itself, and to combining with other stitches, such as feather and herringbone and running, to make interesting new shapes and forms.

So here's the completed piece, height 49 inches, width 23,



and here are a couple of details showing the combination idea



and the activating space idea, where it interacts with fly stitch



As always I lean toward the spare rather than the busy, in embroidery, just my own taste. I like the fabric to speak for itself, too, and not be drowned out in a pandemonium of stitches! but I do enjoy the work of people who love to fully populate their fabric with stitches.
I remember learning this stitch, as Sharon B. points out, as a little kid, often the first stitch you learn in crewel work, at maybe six or so. We did learn all kinds of skills like this very young in Europe. I love the hand movements that go with this one.

And, to go back to the origin of this challenge, go here

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. And to think that I know what it started out like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours and fabric - yes, it would spoil it if you added lots of stitching.
    I think I started using 'lazy daisy' stitch when I was about ten - it's still a favourite.
    i'll start on the challenge soon. Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The finished piece looks fab. I wish I could see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work. My favourite is the second set of stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parce que tu utilises de jolis tissus, tu n'as pas besoin de les couvrir de points. Ton travail est celui d'une artiste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your dyed fabric and the choices of threads you used for the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the little touches of red (or orange?) here and there - makes the whole thing sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so organic . . .
    i like what you've done here.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.