Saturday, February 25, 2012

More fiber adventures: knitting in crochet thread and wire, with handmade paper

Two new works finally have seen completion. Both involve knitting, one with cream colored crochet thread, in a series of stitches including my favorite feather and fan, with a handmade paper face, to form a classical column, where yarnovers simulate architectural detail



The paper face is very fine abaca, thin to the point of dissolution, works with the ancient motif of the knitted pillar. Size about 30" long by 8" wide.

The other work is knitted in colored wire, a fish, inset into a net of wires and threads in a wrapped form. Here seen close up,



and here seen further away



so you can detect the threads trailing down from the fish.

Anyone wanting to know how to do the molding of the face forms, let me know and I'll be glad to explain. Likewise if you'd like tips on knitting with wire, say so, and I'll put in a few pointers on that, too. Each for each is what we teach!

2 comments:

  1. Words fail me. You never cease to amaze me with what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW these pieces are gorgeous, so creatively made and so different, love your works, thanks for nice comment on my book.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.