Saturday, July 18, 2020

Useful Things and Not So Useful Ones

Improving the shining hour, like the busy bee in the poem, since there's a heat thing happening, indoors is it.

You know how something annoys you for ages then finally you figure out a way to fix it, then more ages pass, then finally you fix it? And wonder why you didn't just do it before, instead of spending energy being annoyed? Today. Bathrobe. Me.

The usual problem, silly little lady pockets that won't hold a phone or a book or anything useful. I like this robe, it's cheerful and it fits. But I avoided wearing it because I need to carry my phone always. A safety precaution for an ancient, I mean mature, single lady.

Then finally I got around to enlarging the pockets. I found a nice piece of linen I dyed for an artwork years ago, leftover bit.


Cut sections to insert into the pockets. Did so after making sure they would be deep enough for my hands and my phone.



You'll notice I preserved the bottom of the pockets, inserted the linen in the middle. That way the serging at the pocket edges was kept and it was still strong enough for purpose.

I now have two lovely pockets I can put my phone in and any other stray items I need to carry.


The linen is beautiful, like slipping your hand into an artwork.

Then  there are activities you just do because you feel like them, no redeeming social value, no serious artistic purpose, just a pleasant way of messing about.


I thought I'd try the EZ baby booties with a bear in mind. 


Stripes just because. 


He likes the first one and is looking around anxiously for the rest of the pair. He would also like me to remove his name tag since he's been living here about eight years. He tells me this means he's staying. Another thing to consider doing once I get around to it..

He may start jonesing for a hat. Or a sweater. I may have opened a can of yarns.

19 comments:

  1. Good job on the pockets! I know the situation you describe very well. Usually I hold up the fix by turning something simple into a Very Special Project, and nothing else will do. Until I finally admit to myself (for example) that UNTIL that special little hook appears for that spot next to the back door, a nail - any nail at all - will hold my keys perfectly well, and certainly be an improvement over leaving them in whatever I was wearing the last time I drove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother once commented on his highly gifted and over anxious wife that he wished she could learn the concept of "good enough". Rather than more than perfect or it won't do!

      Delete
    2. well, I am neither over-anxious nor highly gifted, but I DO have a tendency to get in my own way :)

      Delete
  2. I made a friend's bear a Sweater. Then he needed a Hat, of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dollivers now have a wardrobe basket full of handmade kit. I think bears might go the same way.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it wonderful when you can improve the usefulness of a favorite item like those pockets! Oh yes, I think Mr. Bear needs a hat and sweater too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my pocket problem often goes the other way, and I end up carrying glasses, a paperback book, maybe some tissues and a slipper I found on the floor, some hair pins...eventually I find myself listing to one side, and realize I have what feels like six pounds of junk bulging out of that pocket.

    I see that bear with a matching scarf. A lovely long flowing scarf suitable for flinging back over one shoulder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's starting to think about it. What have I unleashed?

      Delete
  5. Brilliant solution to the sorry excuses of pockets so many garments have! And your bear is too cute. He definitely needs a smart outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job with the pockets. We have several resident bears. I think it was only one at first but he brought friends. We also have a resident gorilla that sits on the couch to guard it against a certain cat. He doesn't do a very good job though:)

    I think your bear needs a hat and a scarf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three bears and a miniature one. The mini was an inspired present after major surgery. Friend slipped in, I was sleeping, woke to find him on my pillow.

      The others I kept after rehoming dozens of them, brand new, from the house of a dear friend after she died.

      She had plans for them, and we didn't know what, so I got them to many little kids who really needed a brand new toy friend. Her birthday soon.

      Delete
  7. Pockets! Beautiful. Thank you. There are the many small bits that need to be taken care of. Pockets is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem intimidating until you get started then they're not after all. Once you figure out which way the seams go.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, I know the problem too well. And for this problem you are so smart!!! And it hits close to home. While my bathrobe has pockets that are long enough to hold a phone, one of the pockets has come partially undone and it dangles and flops annoyingly - accusing me of being slopping and careless (when it's not saftey-pinned, that is).
    I know the solution - for years, I've known the solution. Maybe it's time to actually stitch it back together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It happens so often, the intention to fix something that's irritating and for some reason it gets set aside, usually because we think it's going to take too long to fix. Then when we finally actually DO IT we discover that it didn't take nearly as long as we thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One obstacle I run into is remembering it at a time when I can't do anything about it. Putting a stitch in my cuff, noticed as I'm driving, that sort of thing. Anyway it's my story.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.