Tuesday, July 28, 2020

In response to many inquiries, well, a few

I did get a couple of rapid questions about the teacosy, and I thought, rather than just say oh, just do it, it would be friendly to explain a bit more.

All very well for me to say oh, just leave openings, you say, but is it a state secret?  How?

 If it had occurred to me that people would want to know how,  I'd have done pictures. But this is 2020, and so's hindsight, sorry. Anyway, in text:

I knitted this flat, the plan being that one opening for the handle would be left in the eventual seam. Then a slit for the spout went in the middle of the work, which became the spout side, once fitted. I kept fitting as I went.

Soooo, 32 stitches made about 10" at cast-on, which became 11" after a couple of rows. I was working in rib to make shaping easy, so one inch of stretch to fit a 12" pot snugly seemed a good estimate. And so it came to pass.

I kept an eye on where to start the slit for the spout, then at that point worked only half the stitches, back and forth until the slit reached the top of the spout. I kept all the stitches on the needles, but you could use a stitch holder for the half that's waiting. Once the first group of 16 stitches reaches the top of the spout, I broke the thread then resumed knitting just the other group of 16 till it matched the first set. Next row you just work straight across to make the join and continue in pattern.

Now you look out for the point where you've reached the rim of the pot and need to start decreasing to fit across the lid. I did k2tog p 2 all the way across, keeping the stitch pattern. Then one row no decrease, then again a decrease row, then straight.

At this point on this pot I was ready to break the yarn, draw it through the remaining stitches, tight, and finish off. With this bulky yarn there was still room to slip the knob through, but you'd have to look out for that with a finer yarn and draw it just tight enough to still slip the opening over the knob.

Then seam up the sides of the work, noting where the handle needs an opening.

Fit it on. Done. This is snug. You might want a looser fit, but I was thinking safety.
The other nice point is that the cosy holds the lid in place, without the ladylike Victorian finger on knob gesture.

I was using a bulky yarn which knitted up about twice as fast as I expected, so I kept the pot handy to model the progress.

This took maybe an hour from thinking and finding yarn and needles to fitting on.

And you can see how simple fingerless gloves work. Not even shaping needed, just knit a rectangle to fit, seam up leaving a thumb opening, done. July and I'm thinking cosy gloves, why, why?

4 comments:

  1. I've not done much knitting, but I appreciate your explanation. It is nice that it also helps to keep the lid on the pot. You'll have to let us know what your son thinks of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just felt as if I'd been a bit brush off before, given that I usually do a step by step, after years of requests by readers. This one, famous last words, seemed obvious. Not to the people asking, though.

      Delete
  2. Now if you could just come up with the solution to the dripping spout! I'm sure HS is going to appreciate your design prowess with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's answer to the spout that drips was to push a ring of some foan rubber thing on it. Not very scenic, but better than teastains on her tablecloth.

      My own are pretty good.

      Handsome Son tends to take my making skills pretty much for granted.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.