Sunday, October 7, 2018

New Dorset button in progress

Here's the first of the set for the cotton vest. Not finished, I just did it partially, so as to test whether it would go through the buttonholes. And as you see, it did. So I'm set to finish weaving it and its nine friends.






I'm using a size 70 thread for this, used for whitework, so it's both fine and tough enough to stand up to handling and being pushed through the buttonholes. And I had to change technique a bit.

The stitches are tight and you can't really push a needle through the knots around the inside of the ring, to establish the weaving, unlike the usual approach. Normally the knots anchor the weaving. But here I passed the thread over the ring, and held on to it until I got some weaving established. It didn't add size, because the threads slid between the stitched ones. So that seems to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.