Thursday, June 4, 2020

Constellation continued

I'm still experimenting with the hexies, how to prepare them for the reverse applique. The first overstitched ones were a bit stretched and I had to deal with that when I appliqued. The next ones were a bit unruly in the stitching, and now I'm trying a new thing. 



Before cutting, I'm split stitching round the hexies to reinforce the edges. The idea is that they will keep their shape better in the appliqueing. That's the plan, anyway. Also I love to do split stitch anyway, so why not.

After cutting, all the little wings will be folded under, such that (phrase stolen from math friends) the stitching will form a readymade edge to support the appliqueing.

After I finish stitching around this group, I'll try the cutting and then the moment of trrrruth, Madame!

To the onlooker there's practically no difference in how these are done, but the stitcher always knows. 

And thanks to MAJ, I have some general plans at the conclusion of this whole thing, about a trailing path of whipped stitch. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen reverse applique done like that but it makes sense if the fabric was stretching. I have used spray starch to reduce the stretching but I know many don't like to use starch and I do understand. I'm enjoying following your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm designing as I go. I had planned overstitching afterwards anyway, so I'm just changing the order of events!

      Delete
  2. It's always interesting to see your experiments and to know that you're unafraid to reinvent the wheel (so to speak). In this case I guess it's reinventing the hexxie! (ps. You'll be happy to know I'm going to be aboard the hexxie train along with you...sort of).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.